Wednesday 26 October 2011

Sue Meyers, a volunteer's testimonial


We love to share our volunteers' stories.  Sue's is particularly inspiring. Thank you, Sue, for your sentiments. I know that the children will miss you enormously, and we look forward to following your  journey.

Dear Kathryn,

Thursday, 20 October, was my last day at the Zonnebloem Shine Centre.  I have been a volunteer since August. 
Interacting with the children, helping them improve their reading and writing skills, was an incredible experience that I will never forget!  I Hope to return again! 

Having not come from a teaching background, the first few weeks were a learning experience, but as I grew more comfortable with the sessions, of course it became lighter and easier.  The two group training sessions you and Elizabeth conducted were immensely valuable!

Watching the children's skills improve was heart warming.  They are incredible little people, and I have a very special place for them in my heart.  

Karen and the other volunteers were welcoming, kind, friendly and supportive.  They provided helpful feedback and suggestions.  I will miss them and the children so much...I had to fight back tears on the last day.

South Africa is the first stop in a solo trip I am taking around the world, during which I am volunteering in various places along the way. My stops over the next four months include New Zealand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand (I haven't planned further than that).

I am impressed with the Shine Centre and know you will be even more successful in your future endeavors.  What you are accomplishing is so simple, yet practical and wonderful.  Several of my US friends are involved in establishing and furthering NGOs, and I know how hard they focus on their organizations every day.  It truly is a labor of love.

I am writing a blog / journal, which perhaps will be used for future writing about my travels -https://suemtravels.wordpress.com/ - we’ll see.

My experience as a Shine Centre volunteer was amazing and I have nothing but praise and good wishes for your organization! 

Sincerely, 

Sue Meyers


Sue and Zonnebloem girls 


Sue and Brianne, Zonnebloem

Sue and Manqoba