Saturday 13 November 2010

A testimony from Brandon, one of our overseas volunteers

Knowing that a short period of free time would be available post-graduating with my teaching degree in the United States, I decided to follow my dream of visiting the African continent. Through the Cape Town based organization called, Connect-123; I was placed in contact with The Shine Centre. Through my internet research and my constant communication with Kathryn, I knew The Shine Centre would be a perfect fit for my volunteering experience. The results from their program speak volumes to the dedication and love The Shine Centre, including all of the volunteers, put into creating an environment of safety and learning for the children of Cape Town.
For the next two months, I lived my dream in South Africa – meeting some of the most courageous and beautiful children in addition to some of the most amazing and inspirational people! (Yes – Trudy, Kathryn, Maurita, Carrie, and Sally, I’m talking about you!) 
Not only did The Shine Centre award me with some of the greatest teaching experiences and learning opportunities of my short life so far – they were also there for me when life happened some 7,000 miles away from home! I am forever grateful to the wonderful individuals I met; they will stay in my thoughts and heart for a lifetime! I quickly learned that a child’s smile showcases the perseverance, hope, love, and beauty of South Africa!

Thank you guys for everything! I miss you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love,
Brandon

Thank you Brandon, and photo to follow!

No comments: