Friday 29 January 2010

Sentiments From a New Volunteer: The Journey that brought Me to Shine.

Not being able to read or write properly is something that’s ‘unheard of’ in normal day-to-day living yet it exists. And while children muddle through it catches up with them in later years; the knock-on effects can be disastrous.

I remember being in high school and around standard 9 there was a child found to be dyslexic…for years he was always thought to be naughty, didn’t do homework, got others to help him and was extremely humiliated that his friends found he was less than what he projected.

I cannot imagine not reading and experiencing pleasure from books; being transported to distant planets & parallel universes, living fantastic adventures, comforted with familiar, gripping my imagination until the last page so that I have to page back again just to make sure it’s the end, seducing me like only a word can with its caress, jump-starting my grey matter with complex philosophy & thought provoking opinions, inspiring whimsical poetry…reading adds to the colour of life.

So thank you for providing me with the opportunity to make a difference and add to that colour for children.

Amina, new Volunteer 2010

No comments: