Thursday 26 July 2012

Graduated Shine Boys

Karen from Zonnebloem sent us a great little narrative yesterday which I wanted to share: 
'Inga, Avuyile and Litha Booi were part of our grade one programme in 2010 - they came with some other boys who were extremely weak in the 4th term for a specialy designed programme (designed by Sally James)
When these three boys repeated Grade one they continued coming to Shine once a week for the whole of 2011. At the end of the year they were assessed along with all the grade ones, and their scores were so high they (didn't have) to come back to Shine in grade two.
Inga
Avuyile


Every day when I take the grade two boys to Shine these three boys beg me to take them to Shine for a visit. I promised them that I would....last week, on the first day of school, they were waiting for me when I arrived at Zonnebloem - "when can we come to Shine for a visit?".....Today was their chance....We sat on the mat in the kitchen - I read two Jill Eggleton Big Books to them - There's a Bunyip in the Billabong and Grumpy Rhino - they loved these stories.
Each of them read a blue sticker book to me - their reading is so good (especially Avuyile and Litha. Inga was a bit weaker and may come back to Shine in grade 3).
They insisted on taking a take-home-book for the night and on getting a praise card as well.'
It is always so good to hear such success stories. What always strikes me is the willingness and eagerness of the children to be part of Shine, and that our little traditions, such as the praise notes and the special take-home-books, are so treasured.

Litha