Thursday 15 September 2011

Pen-pal project between South Africa and Germany

One of our former overseas volunteers from 2011, Miriam Hochwald, initiated a pen-pal project between the Zonnebloem Grade Two children (boys and girls) and her German holiday care group children. 

Below, you can see the letter from Miriam, plus all the letters sent from the German children, to our Grade Two boys. Ms Dyantyi, the Grade Two teacher, explained the project to her students using the globe to show them Germany, so far away, but the  warmth and care sent via the letters was tangible. 

Thank you, Miriam, for your initiative! This is such an invaluable and memorable learning tool. I remember my own pen-pal scheme from when I was eight years old, growing up in rural Cambridgeshire, and the excitement that was created every time a letter popped through the door from my lovely pen-pal, Tracey from Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, USA.  At the time, I had no idea how life changing the project was.  But when I reflect on it now, those letters piqued my interest in the rest of the world.  Who knows where these threads of learning will lead our beautiful Shine children.