Thursday 2 June 2011

A message from Miriam, one of our previous overseas volunteers.

I have been back in Germany for quite some time now, but I often find myself daydreaming about my trip to South Africa. 
In my mind, I see myself back at Zonnebloem, where I spent the majority of my time during my stay. I imagine walking across the schoolyard, with Table Mountain in the distance.  I could take in views of the sea and the city, while I watched the children play soccer. I loved listening to the little ones speak Xhosa.  Once in a while, the lovely ‘click click’ sounds were interspersed with English words like ‘Germany,’ ‘Shine Centre’ and ‘Miriam’.  
After graduating from high school in 2010, my biggest wish was to spend time abroad, volunteering in an African country. I went through the German organization Experiment.  Their Cape Town partner, SASTS, helped me find a host family in Athlone, where I stayed from August to December, 2010.  I spent every morning teaching at the Zonnebloem Shine Centre.  In the afternoons, I went next door to the Home From Home foster care and played with the children.
Working at the Shine Centre meant so much to me. I was able to build relationships with the children and witness the progress they made. I tried to put a lot of creativity into my teaching.  It was wonderful to see that the children actually appreciated our Shine sessions. Plus, it was so much fun!
The kids weren’t the only ones who were learning.  While they practised their English vocabulary, I was also reviewing.  Everything about my stay, especially my time with the children, helped to broaden my horizons...Shine really made me shine.
My time at the Shine Centre was a great experience. I really felt like I was part of something huge. I was impressed with the effort and passion that the volunteers put into their work with the children.  It is truly a successful programme.
Shine and the children from Home From Home made my stay unique. I miss everything and everyone…it was the most special time.
Thank you Miriam for such a glowing account of the work you did with us. We miss you, and keep shining!

No comments: